Saturday 30 January 2016

2016 AUSTRALIAN OPEN: HUGE UPSET AS NO.7 SEED, ANGELIQUE KERBER DEFEATS SERENA WILLIAMS

It was a huge upset on Saturday as seventh seed, Angelique Kerber,28,  defeated number one seed, Serena Williams at the finals of the Australian Open held at Rod Laver Arena to win the title.
Serena Williams' bid to equal Steffi Gra's Open-era record of 22 Grand Slam titles was thwarted by Angelique Kerber.

Angelique defeated Serena by 6-4, 3-6, 6-4. This is Angelique's first major title win and is the first German Grand Slam champion since Graf at the 1999 French Open.

An excited Angelique said on winning the Australian Open,

"My whole life I was working really hard and now I'm here and I can say I'm a Grand Slam champion, so it sounds really crazy", she said choking back tears.

Serena Williams had won all six previouis Melbourne Park finals she had played.

Congrats Angelique!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment